Install the Windows Subsystem for Linux
Before installing any Linux distros for WSL, you must ensure that the “Windows Subsystem for Linux” optional feature is enabled:
- Open PowerShell as Administrator and run:
Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online -FeatureName Microsoft-Windows-Subsystem-Linux
- Restart your computer when prompted.
Install your Linux Distribution of Choice
To download and install your preferred distro(s), you have three choices:
- Download and install from the Windows Store (see below)
- Download and install from the Command-Line/Script (read the manual installation instructions)
- Download and manually unpack and install (for Windows Server – instructions here)
Windows 10 Fall Creators Update and later: Install from the Microsoft Store
This section is for Windows build 16215 or later. Follow these steps to check your build.
- Open the Microsoft Store and choose your favorite Linux distribution.The following links will open the Windows store page for each distribution:
- From the distro’s page, select “Get”
Complete initialization of your distro
Now that your Linux distro is installed, you must initialize your new distro instance once, before it can be used.